Monday, October 13, 2014

Southern Ragwort - Small's ragwort (Packera anonyma)

Small's Ragwort can be found in the Eastern and Southeastern United States. This was growing in our neighborhood in early May and my son photographed it. I was looking back through photos this year for some other plants and saw them. I had forgot about the pictures and some weren't very clear but was surprised to identify it so quickly. Ragwort has been used medicinally by the Native Americans and Cherokee Indians used it for heart problems and to prevent pregnancy. The plant does contain several toxic alkaloids one of which is pyrrolizidine so this would not be considered an edible. It's said to increase blood pressure to.  The early European herbalists used it medicinally. Compresses were used externally for antiseptic properties and teas were also made. So many plants this year I've learned about and now I'm wondering will I still continue to discover more in just a small area ? Surprisingly my journey continues of discovering God's creation in my little world ! Take some time and discover God's creation where you are. 

Small's ragwort (Packera anonyma)

Small's ragwort (Packera anonyma)

Small's ragwort (Packera anonyma)
Small's ragwort (Packera anonyma)

No comments:

Post a Comment