Friday, October 3, 2014

Giant Ragweed (Ambrosia trifida)

Giant Ragweed may bring thoughts of sneezing and allergies. The pollen can cause hay fever and allergic reaction in some when coming in contact with it. This we found in the weedy spot as I've been calling it in my neighborhood. It's been a great location for finding wildflowers and medicinal plants. It's native to North America and can be found throughout the United States, Canada and Northern Mexico. It is an introduced species to Europe and Asia. It was said to have been grown as a fiber crop in the 1700's here in the US. The grain contains 47% crude protein and 37% crude fat. The Native Americans used the plant as a remedy for insect stings, hives, fever and pneumonia. They also used fibers to make thread. Some interesting facts I didn't know about Ragweed and before I knew the name but now have seen it in person. I'm discovering what's growing in my area. Take some time and discover God's creation where you are. 
Giant Ragweed  (Ambrosia trifida)

Giant Ragweed  (Ambrosia trifida)



Giant Ragweed  (Ambrosia trifida)

No comments:

Post a Comment