Thursday, October 9, 2014

Peppervine (Ampelopsis arborea)

I found this while at the track with my son. The berries caught my eye and I don't remember seeing any of these in my neighborhood before. It's native from Florida to Virginia to Illinois and to New Mexico. There seems to be some confusion when reading different opinions as to Peppervine being edible. The berries are said to contain calcium oxalate. If you happened to read my blog about Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus Quinquefolia) you might remember that calcium oxalate is described like a microscopic chemical spine from a cactus. Eating Peppervine berries could be like a chemical burn in your throat. Believe me I've come in contact with oxalate crystals from Virginia Creeper and it's like being tortured! Maybe it has been compared to having Poison Ivy or Poison Oak but in my opinion much worse! So how can some information show berries to be edible? Some have suggested there are only low levels of the oxalate crystals. Others say cooking could help remove them. As for me no thank you and not edible !  Another plant I've become informed about and one I'll keep my distance from. Take time and discover God's creation where you are. There is so much to learn. 



Peppervine (Ampelopsis arborea) leaves. 

Add captionPeppervine (Ampelopsis arborea)
Peppervine (Ampelopsis arborea)
 
Peppervine (Ampelopsis arborea)

3 comments:

  1. Poison pepper vine plants, Ampelopsis arborea, are problematic fruiting vines that are dangerous in the home garden both for their toxicity to humans as well as for their invasive nature.

    Read more : http://www.ehow.com/info_7803080_poison-pepper-vine-plants.html
    Love your blog informative and very interesting.♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dalene ! That was one of the links I read . God bless you !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like eating them right off the vine!

    ReplyDelete