Sunday, October 19, 2014

Dogfennel (Eupatorium capillifolium)

Dogfennel grows in the Southeastern United States. It can be found from Southern Florida to Eastern Texas. It extends northward to New Jersey and occasionally up the East Coast to Massachusetts. I've been watching this grow all summer and left it even after I was able to identify it because I wanted to see when it bloomed. It's grown huge since I first spotted that tiny plant in an area it was not wanted in. I've seen this all my life, not usually in my yard and didn't know the name of it. I never remember it blooming though. I think because it probably got cut down before it could. Mosquitoes are said to not like this plant and Native Americans used it to repel them. Cattle don't like the plant and it contains a toxin called tremitol. If ingested by cattle it causes dehydration. The alkaloid pyrrolizidine contained in this plant can cause serious liver damage so obviously this plant is not edible. The Scarlet Bodied Wasp Moth male feeds on the plant before mating. So one creature this plant is not poison to. Although I don't think this moth is in my area. Discoveries, discoveries so much I'm learning about where I am.Take time and discover God's creation where you are. 



Dogfennel  (Eupatorium capillifolium) in early June. Still small. 

Dogfennel  (Eupatorium capillifolium) in early June. Still small. 


Dogfennel  (Eupatorium capillifolium) in August how it looked.
Dogfennel  (Eupatorium capillifolium)  in bloom in October.

Dogfennel  (Eupatorium capillifolium) in bloom in October.

Dogfennel  (Eupatorium capillifolium) in bloom in October.



No comments:

Post a Comment