Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Orange Daylily (Hemerocallis Fulva)

The Orange Daylily is no stranger to my neighborhood. I grew up seeing them even next door to me but these we didn't plant in the backyard until 2001-2003 ? . I can't remember exactly. Around the time of my birthday we were seeing these on the side of the road and not near my home though. This was during a time where we had extreme financial difficulties after my Daddy had passed in 2000. We obviously weren't spending money for birthday gifts but this gift that came that year was uniquely special. Since we would pass by the Orange Daylilies and Chicory often on the side of the road I asked my sons to pull a few up to take home and plant. From just a few my sons got that day they have really spread along with the Chicory. A beautiful gift that blooms every year around my birthday and one I remember with joy. :) 
The Orange Daylily is native to Asia and it was imported to the United States in the 1600's It's is edible and the flower can be eaten raw, in salads or some even batter and fry them . The tubers are also edible. The flowers contain iron, vitamin c and beta carotene. A word of warning though some people do have allergic reactions to Daylilies which could include nausea and vomiting. So if trying them for the first time I would suggest only a few bites. If all goes well then you are now open to a world of recipes and dishes. Daylilies  are also said to have medicinal properties and have been used in Chinese medicine for more than 2000 years. The Daylily has added beauty to my yard but now as I discover more about God's creation valuable information has been added . 

Orange Daylily (Hemerocallis Fulva)


Orange Daylily (Hemerocallis Fulva)




Orange Daylily (Hemerocallis Fulva)

Orange Daylily (Hemerocallis Fulva)

Orange Daylily (Hemerocallis Fulva)

Orange Daylily (Hemerocallis Fulva)

No comments:

Post a Comment