Thursday, May 29, 2014

Chicory (Cichorium Intybus)

Chicory might be my favorite plant growing in my yard but hard to choose. I love the color of the flowers. The fact that it's edible, nutritious and medicinal adds to my love for it also. The story of how it came to grow in my yard is the same as the one I shared about the Orange Daylilies . (If you haven't read that blog go check it out.) They were somewhat of a birthday present during a time of extreme financial distress around 2001-2003 . I can't remember the exact year though. My sons pulled them up from the side of the road and we planted them in the backyard. They have multiplied and flourish even though I haven't taken great care of them. They also love coming up where I didn't plant them in the cracks of the driveway and the concrete in the back. Sometimes I just let them grow there anyway. :)  
There is much to tell about Chicory but I hope to keep all this information brief and to the point. Maybe I should just start from the roots and go up. Chicory root can be roasted and ground to make a coffee substitute and it does not contain caffeine. It's roots contain high levels of inulin which promotes beneficial bacteria in the intestine. Because of this it's been used as a probiotic. It's rich in fiber and also said to lower cholesterol and blood sugar.  
There are a number of uses medicinally for Chicory. I'm not a doctor nor an expert but I'm learning and sharing this information that could be beneficial to someone. Some uses for Chicory are : Constipation, Liver disorders, Gallbladder Disorders, Cancer, Skin Inflammation, Loss of Appetite, Upset Stomach and a few more. The oils in Chicory are said to be good at eliminating intestinal worms. 
One cup of Chicory leaves contain 0.1 grams of fat and It also contains vitamins A,C,E,K and Folate. Minerals such as Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc, Copper, Manganese are also present. Sounds like a good plant to add to your diet. I've tried it in a salad and think it's good. 
As with any new plant though always be cautious of food allergies and be well informed before trying.
Chicory is a beautiful herb that some might call a weed but I call it a blessing. Let's open our eyes and discover our Father's creation.  

He causeth the grass to grow for the cattle, and herb for the service of man: that he may bring forth food out of the earth; Psalms 104:14



Chicory (Cichorium Intybus)



Chicory Leaves (Cichorium Intybus)

Chicory Leaves (Cichorium Intybus)

Chicory L;eaves(Cichorium Intybus)

Chicory (Cichorium Intybus)

Chicory (Cichorium Intybus)





Chicory (Cichorium Intybus)

Chicory (Cichorium Intybus)

Chicory (Cichorium Intybus)



No comments:

Post a Comment