Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Common Vetch (Vicia Sativa)

Common Vetch also called Tare, Garden Vetch and Spring Vetch maybe a new name to me but I see it in my yard and along the roadside often. For years I've seen it in my yard growing in shades of pink and in stretches of my neighborhood it's purple . Either color I think is pretty . It can also be found growing  throughout the world. Common Vetch is in the Pea family and I never noticed those seed pods before until photographing the flowers. I read they contain cyanide compounds and can be toxic though so I won't be adding this to my edible list. Although some people seemed to be of a differing opinion over this being edible. As for me I'll just enjoy the beauty I've discovered in another one of God's creation. 

Common Vetch 

Common Vetch 


Common Vetch 

Common Vetch 

No comments:

Post a Comment