Sunday, May 25, 2014

Little Sweet Betsy, Large Toadshade (Trillium Cuneatum)

Trillium is a interesting little plant that grows in the woods near our home. Almost 2 months ago now my son and I took pictures of it. I remember it being there years ago but forgot about it since I haven't been to the trail where this was in years. It took me a while to make a decision as to which variety this was. It's almost as confusing as to which name to call it, Little Sweet Betsy, Large Toadshade, Purple Toadshade, Whip-poor-will flower and Bloody Butcher. Talk about two extremes "Little Sweet Betsy" or "Bloody Butcher". I think I'll just stick with Little Sweet Betsy. :) Trillium are in the Lilly family and the leaves are said to be edible raw or cooked. I haven't tasted any there are only a few near here.They are almost covered over now with Virginia Creeper so I keep my distance. One variety of Trillium are endangered in my state of Alabama the Relict Trillium (Trillium Reliquum). There are many varieties of Trillium and much beauty with each.  Another plant has been added to my list and new information as I continue to discover my Heavenly Father's creation. 


(Trillium Cuneatum) Little Sweet Betsy
(Trillium Cuneatum) Little Sweet Betsy

(Trillium Cuneatum) Little Sweet Betsy

(Trillium Cuneatum) Little Sweet Betsy


 (Trillium Cuneatum) Little Sweet Betsy


(Trillium Cuneatum), Little Sweet Betsy

(Trillium Cuneatum),  Little Sweet Betsy



No comments:

Post a Comment