Thursday, September 4, 2014

Panicledleaf Ticktrefoil (Desmodium paniculatum)

Panicledleaf Tick Trefoils was a little harder to get pictures of than some wildflowers I photograph. It took a few days of walking down the hill in our neighborhood and hoping the lighting and camera would both do their job. Unfortunately I couldn't get a very clear picture.  Tall, thin and leafy with a few small flowers on top is my description of Tick Trefoils. It can grow to three foot tall and these were pretty close to that. I don't think I remember seeing it before, at least not in my yard anyway. It was close to another flower I was taking pictures of and this spot and the one across from it have made for an interesting summer of discoveries. Just when I think I've photographed and written about them all then new and different flowers seem to bloom. The roots of Tick Trefoils have been used medicinally in the past by the Houma Indians. It's a food source for birds and butterflies but seeds nor any other part is edible for humans. It contains chemicals that are said to repel insects and boy do we need that in my neighborhood !  It's native to much of the United States and some of Canada. A nice wildflower discovery added to my list of others that I've found in my area. Hope you'll take time to discover God's creation where you are. 

Tick Trefoils (Desmodium paniculatum) 

Tick Trefoils (Desmodium paniculatum)

Tick Trefoils (Desmodium paniculatum) 

Tick Trefoils leaves (Desmodium paniculatum) 
Tick Trefoils (Desmodium paniculatum) 
Tick Trefoils (Desmodium paniculatum) 

Tick Trefoils (Desmodium paniculatum) 

No comments:

Post a Comment