Monday, September 22, 2014

Japanese Hawkweed (Youngia japonica)

I found this growing in my front yard and backyard. Somethings I find and identify quickly on the internet. This one was identified thanks to the help of a plant identification group on facebook. Japanese Hawkweed can be found throughout the Eastern and Southeastern United States. It's native to Asia and Australia and as the name would suggest can be found throughout Japan. It's been naturalized here in the United States and other parts of the world also. It's edible and the leaves can be eaten raw or cooked. It's said to be a medicinal plant and used as an antitussive, febrifuge and antioxidant. A Chinese study in 2003 showed it to have anti-cancer and antiviral activities. Remember as always to do plenty of research and have expert advice before using plants medicinally or eating them. My blogs are here to give information and not advice. So many amazing plants God has placed in my small area. So many beneficial plants right before my eyes. I'm thanking God for what He has allowed me to discover. I hope you'll take a look around and discover God's creation where you are. 
Japanese Hawkweed  (Youngia japonica)

Japanese Hawkweed  (Youngia japonica)

Japanese Hawkweed  (Youngia japonica)

Japanese Hawkweed  (Youngia japonica)

Japanese Hawkweed  (Youngia japonica)

Japanese Hawkweed  (Youngia japonica)

Japanese Hawkweed  (Youngia japonica)


Japanese Hawkweed  (Youngia japonica)

Japanese Hawkweed  (Youngia japonica)

Japanese Hawkweed  (Youngia japonica)

No comments:

Post a Comment