Sunday, September 14, 2014

Old Man's Beard (Usnea)

I happened to notice this on a stick when I was walking in the back yard. I almost tossed it over in the woods like other sticks and limbs down the hill. It caught my eye though and decided I would take some pictures. I see these but never thought much about them and have grown up seeing them. Glad God brought it to my attention because I never would have imagined the information I discovered about it. Usnea grows all over the world and can be found hanging from tree branches. It's been used medicinally for at least 1600 years or more and is an antibiotic and anti-fungal agent. It can be used externally for treating wounds, a pain reliever, fever reducer and in treating infections. It has also been used for weight loss. Although there have been concerns about it's effect on the liver when used as an ingredient in weight loss products. As always never try or use plants medicinally without the advice of an expert or without researching and having much information. My blogs are not here to give medical advice but to only inform of what I'm learning and discovering.  Usnea contains a chemical called usnic acid and it has been used as ingredient in toothpaste, mouthwash, creams, powders, deodorants, shampoo and sunscreens . One of the best ways to identify it is to pull a green thread apart.  Usnea will contains a white thread core. I tried doing that with some and saw just what was described.  Any other lookalike will not have the white core inside. It's amazing something that could go unnoticed by many of us can have so many uses. I continue to discover just how little I know about God's creation that surrounds me and I see daily. What an awesome and wise Creator we have who designed the earth and placed a world of information in plants, trees and so much more. I'm discovering God's creation and I hope you will too. 






No comments:

Post a Comment