Monday, September 29, 2014

Spider Lily, Hurricane Lilies (Lycoris radiata )

The Spider Lily has not always been in our yard. For a few years we moved and had several families rent here. One of those families planted them here. I've moved them several times in the yard and I love red flowers but not some of the history associated with this one. They originate from China, Korea and Nepal. They were introduced to Japan and then in 1854 to the United States and can be found throughout the southeastern United States. They are also thought of as an heirloom plant and can look a bit odd having no leaves at all. The bulbs are very poisonous and contain lycorine. They also contain another alkaloid galantamine which is used in medications that are used to treat Alzheimers-type dementia. They are grown in China specifically for harvesting it for this reason. In Japan they have been used to keep mice away by surrounding homes and rice paddies. They also have been associated with death by Buddhists and are planted on graves. They are often used at funerals by the Japanese people. As I said not a history I'm fond of. I doubt most people in the south associate these with that but probably have never heard of it. I never heard all that before but have my own sad remembrance of these flowers from almost 14 years to the date of me writing this. In October of  2000 my Daddy went to be with the Lord. After a month of  hospitalization and then his death we came home. I remember these were in bloom and the sight of them for years still sometimes brings those thoughts of misery that I felt. I have thought of removing them but hate to throw a flower away. I did move them all to the backyard though. Just a bit of my personal thoughts on another of God's creation that I'm discovering more about. I hope you'll take time to discover God's creation where you are. There's so much to learn about what He's made. 

They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. Psalms 126:5

Spider Lily, Hurricane Lilies (Lycoris radiata ) 

Spider Lily, Hurricane Lilies (Lycoris radiata ) 

Spider Lily, Hurricane Lilies (Lycoris radiata ) 

Spider Lily, Hurricane Lilies (Lycoris radiata ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment