Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Partridge Pea - Golden Cassia (Chamaecrista fasciculata)

I found this in the same spot in my neighborhood as the Queen Anne's Lace. I haven't driven up this side of our neighborhood lately and decided to for a change of scenery. Glad that I did because I found a different flower. It wasn't one I remember seeing but the leaves resemble that of the Mimosa tree. This spot was full of the Partridge Pea which has pretty yellow flowers. I decided to bring some back to the house and transplant it . Hopefully it will do alright. This plant is native to most of the Eastern United States. The seed in this plant is one of the major food items of the northern bobwhite and some quail. In fact it is suppose to be one of the most important foods during the fall and winter for the bobwhite quail in my state of Alabama. It's also an important source of food for the Cloudless Sulphur, Sleepy Orange and Little yellow caterpillars. Bees also are attracted to the nectar that's found not in the flower but in a small orange gland at the base of each leaf. It can be poisonous to grazing animals and humans if eaten in large quantities because it contains cathartic. As for myself  I wouldn't consume it at all but Partridge Pea was used medicinally by the Cherokee and Seminole Indians. The early pioneers and Shakers used it to treat fevers and infections. There is a lot of information on this one if you're interested in it's use in the past but in modern herbal medicine it's not commonly used now. This has been a great find and discovery for me today. Don't overlook what God has placed around you. Take a look around and see the wonders of God's creation.



  Partridge Pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata)
  Partridge Pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata)

  Partridge Pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata)

  Partridge Pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata)

  Partridge Pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata)




Partridge Pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata)

c

No comments:

Post a Comment