Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Mulberry Weed (Fatuoa villosa)

I've been watching some of these grow in the yard and left them only so I could identify what they were. Thanks to the help of a Facebook group they gave me my answer. There would be quite a few of these around the back yard if I let them grow. Yes ! weeds, weeds ! I love taking pictures of them. Some I think are really pretty. :) Mulberry Weed is widespread in Asia and has spread rapidly here in the United States. It was discovered in Louisiana in 1964 and was possibly here as far back as the late 1940's. Interesting some of my ancestors would never have seen something that I think of as so common in my yard. Even more amazing to me is that it was only found in my State of Alabama in 1975. It is said that it can cause mild itching. I have pulled it up with my hands and no gloves on. I don't remember having any reaction to it when in contact with it. There are other plants here in my yard that do cause a reaction. If this one does cause any it must be very mild compared to the others I've been in pain from. It is listed as not edible and not medicinal but in some Asian countries there was some information that the root had been used medicinally. I'm not recommending it's use in any form just passing along information I'm finding. Research carefully any information you find from the internet through blogs or else where. Remember to take a look around you today and discover God's creation. For me there seems to be something new to learn everyday. 
Mulberry Weed (Fatuoa villosa)

Mulberry Weed (Fatuoa villosa)

Mulberry Weed (Fatuoa villosa)

Mulberry Weed (Fatuoa villosa)

Mulberry Weed (Fatuoa villosa)

Mulberry Weed (Fatuoa villosa)


No comments:

Post a Comment