Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Hairy Clustervine, Small Morning Glory (Jacquemontia tamnifolia)

I'm a little surprised to have found Hairy Cluster Vine or also called Small Morning Glory growing in the spot it was. I planted something else there that didn't come up at all. Funny but these are about the same color of what was supposed to have come up which was a violet color. Maybe we shall say God's garden. He's planting what He wants. When my Mother walked out of the door the other day she called them a Morning Glory and so she was right. I wasn't sure what these were until I looked them up today.They are in the Morning Glory family. I think I like it being here so I hope to see this next year. If it's like other Morning Glories we have it will spread and multiply quickly. This plant is found throughout Africa including Madagascar as well as some Indian Ocean Islands. It's native of tropical America. It's found in the Southeastern United States to Texas and North to Ohio and Pennsylvania. Traces of hallucinogenic alkaloids are present in the seeds just like other Morning Glories so the seeds should not be eaten. Not much information to be found as to it being edible. I did read that in Africa they would use the leaves in soups or eaten as a cooked vegetable. If it's safe or not I really don't know. This is another plant I would love to hear more information about. My advice is never eat any plant you're not sure if safe! Be well informed with information and with an expert's knowledge. I'm discovering God's creation and realizing how much there is to learn. Take some time and discover God's creation today.
Hairy Clustervine (Jacquemontia tamnifolia)

Hairy Clustervine (Jacquemontia tamnifolia)

Hairy Clustervine (Jacquemontia tamnifolia)

Hairy Clustervine (Jacquemontia tamnifolia)

Hairy Clustervine (Jacquemontia tamnifolia)

Hairy Clustervine (Jacquemontia tamnifolia)

c

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this information. I was wondering if this plant had medicinal uses and yours is the only information I found concerning the plant being/ not being edible. From this post I think I will just enjoy the beauty.

    ReplyDelete