Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Hairy Leafcup (Smallanthus uvedalius) (Polymnia uvedalia)

This was another surprise plant for me, after the disappointment of finding a weedy spot mowed down (by the city) in my neighborhood. I was going back to take more pictures of other plants I was writing about. I was happy to find this seemingly out of their reach though. This isn't a plant I remember seeing here in this neighborhood and I have spent most of my life here. Glad I found it and was able to take some pictures and also glad to add it to my growing list. When I started blogging I had no idea I'd still be finding this many new plants to write about. Shows you how little I knew about what was actually here. Not to mention what is edible and medicinal all around me. Leafcup is found in the Eastern and Southeastern United States from New York to Florida, although it's on the endangered list in New York and New Jersey. It ranges to the Midwest through Illinois, Missouri and Nebraska also south to Texas. It's been used medicinally treating rheumatism and hair loss. The root was said to have have been used for the liver, spleen and stomach. A poultice of the root was used as a salve for burns, inflammation and cuts. I haven't found anything saying it's edible and it is listed under poisonous plants on the FDA but no information is given. As always be cautious, well informed and know a expert if considering using any plant your not familiar with. My blogs only give information not advice. Become a researcher and a discover of God's creation. There is so much to be learned ! 



Hairy Leafcup (Smallanthus uvedalius)

Hairy Leafcup (Smallanthus uvedalius)

Hairy Leafcup (Smallanthus uvedalius)

Hairy Leafcup (Smallanthus uvedalius)

Hairy Leafcup (Smallanthus uvedalius)





Hairy Leafcup (Smallanthus uvedalius)

No comments:

Post a Comment