Saturday, April 26, 2014

Lyre Leaf Sage (Salvia Lyrata)

Lyre Leaf Sage is abundantly growing right now throughout my backyard. The bees are as busy as they can be going from bloom to bloom. Lyre leaf is edible and medicinal. The leaves were once thought to be an external cure for cancer which gave it one of it's names "Cancerweed"  I decided to taste a leaf for the first time today and it had a mild taste. Some describe it as minty. It can be used in salads or cooked as greens. Seeds and leaves could be used as a tea as well. The Native Americans used the root as a salve for sores and the plant for a tea for colds and coughs. I'm definitely impressed with this new discovery that usually I've mowed over with the lawn mower by now. This year is different as I'm "Discovering His Creation." Oh, how I am discovering how little I know of God's creation that's in my own backyard. 


Lyre Leaf Sage


Lyre Leaf Sage
Lyre Leaf Sage
Lyre Leaf Sage


Lyre Leaf Sage


No comments:

Post a Comment