Thursday, June 12, 2014

Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus Quinquefolia)

This plant is not one I write about with joy but total dislike.  It's true to it's name and creeps along the ground, trees and anything if not stopped. It covers much of the woods behind our property and tries to spring up and sneak it's way onto ours no matter how many times I remove it. It's native to Eastern and Central North America, Southeastern Canada, Eastern Mexico and Guatemala.  Everyone may not have their skin react like mine does when they come in contact with it or so I've read. It causes a skin rash just like poison ivy and oak would for me and my family members. Everyone in my house reacts the same way to it. Surprisingly I've read only a small percentage of people do though (not sure if that's true) ! I really would love to see someone not have a reaction to this plant! It's even hard for me to imagine anyone wanting to have it in their yard at all but it seems not to be a curse to everyone. :)  This plant contains oxalate crystals that could be described like microscopic chemical spines from a cactus. Painful is the only way I can describe it !  It amazes me though that the Native Americans were said to have used the roots and bark for various aliments as well as the berries. Yet the berries are highly toxic and could be fatal if eaten. Interesting to know that birds and some animals can eat those berries and leaves without harm though. I just simply want it no where near me but thank God that it is of use for something.  All of God's creation may not seem like a benefit but has a purpose and a place even when we don't understand it all. 







Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus Quinquefolia) up close, climbing up a tree .

Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus Quinquefolia) The tree in the very center is dead but covered from top to bottom in Virginia Creeper.

Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus Quinquefolia)  growing up to the top of the tree. 




Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus Quinquefolia)




Virginia Creeper (Parthenocissus Quinquefolia)

No comments:

Post a Comment