Sunday, June 22, 2014

Morning Glory ( Ipomoea Purpurea )

I have just discovered how little I knew about Morning Glories. I had no idea that Morning Glory was the common name to over a 1000 species in the Convolulaceae family ! The Morning Glories that I'm most familiar with are the pinks and purples that come up every year since the 1990's when my Daddy first planted them here. The pale blue that I rarely see now must have come up wild or maybe from a family that rented our home in the 1980's. Those three colors were the only ones I knew as Morning Glory and the variety I knew about. As far as I know this plant is not edible and the seeds definitely not ! The seeds contain small quantities of the hallucinogen LSD. These vines are climbers and will even twist and wind around other plants and flowers if close by. The leaves are heart shaped and the flowers will also attract humming birds and butterflies.The blooms open in the morning and close in the afternoon thus how we get the common name Morning Glory. God's Creation is glorious ! May our eyes come open to see more of His Glory in Creation around us !
Morning Glory ( Ipomoea Purpurea )

Morning Glory ( Ipomoea Purpurea )

Morning Glory ( Ipomoea Purpurea )




 Blue Morning Glory ( Ipomoea Purpurea )
                                                                         


 Purple Morning Glory ( Ipomoea Purpurea )


 Purple Morning Glory ( Ipomoea Purpurea )

 Purple Morning Glory ( Ipomoea Purpurea )

Purple Morning Glory ( Ipomoea Purpurea )


No comments:

Post a Comment