Monday, July 14, 2014

Spotted Spurge (Euphorbia maculata)

Spotted Spurge is native to the Eastern United States and is common to California. It loves to grow in the cracks in the concrete in the backyard where I frequently pull it up. It grows a few places in the lawn and at the end of the sidewalk in the front. I often looked at it especially when those small pink flowers are in bloom and wondered what it was. I found the name while looking up information on something else. There is a milky, sticky sap that can cause dermatitis. I didn't know that until today and normally I pull this up with my hands without gloves on. I don't ever remember any problems after pulling it up so maybe everyone doesn't have the same reaction. To be safe though I might consider having on gloves from now on if handling it. Some Spurge species if eaten can cause mild to severe digestive tract irrigation. Not one for the edible list I would say! My summer of discoveries grows and a world of new information of my Heavenly Father's Creation. 








     






No comments:

Post a Comment