Sunday, July 6, 2014

Autumn Olive-Autumnberry (Elaeagnus umbellata)

That wonderful trail has brought me to a new discovery. There are Autumnberry shrubs mingled here and there and also as you walk along the trail. As usual we were going to take pictures of another new wildflower and I find something else not expected. The berries caught my attention a few days ago as my son and I walked down the hill. I took a few pictures and hoped I would be able to identify it without knowing the name at the time. With God's direction I found a lot of surprises on this one. Autumnberry is considered an invasive species by many but I would love if it spread here. The berries and seeds are edible and contain more lycopene than tomatoes ! I'm wondering why so many would ignore something so nutritious. The berries can be used to make jellies, jams and juices. Hopefully I can try that in the future when these become fully ripe. They contain vitamins A, C, E and also minerals phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, potassium and iron.  I don't remember hearing about these until now. Seems like I have seen them but as usual I knew nothing about them. The reddish berries are covered with what has been described as silvery flakes. I actually thought it looked like white rough specks. The leaves on the underside are a silvery color and green on top. It grows wild throughout the Eastern United States and was introduced  here in 1830. It's native to China, Korea and Japan. In China it was traditionally used as a food but was brought here to help with erosion and landscaping. Talk about wasteful ! Food that's been overlooked here in the United States! Well, maybe more are realizing that now. Hopefully information will spread of it's nutritional and possibly medicinal value. I'm thanking God for another new discovery of what's right at my own backyard ! Take a look around you and discover God's creation.




Autumn Olive-Autumnberry (Elaeagnus umbellata)


Autumn Olive-Autumnberry (Elaeagnus umbellata)

Autumn Olive-Autumnberry (Elaeagnus umbellata)


Autumn Olive-Autumnberry (Elaeagnus umbellata)


Autumn Olive-Autumnberry  leaves from the underside (Elaeagnus umbellata)

Autumn Olive-Autumnberry  leaves from the underside (Elaeagnus umbellata)



Autumn Olive-Autumnberry (Elaeagnus umbellata)


No comments:

Post a Comment