Friday, July 18, 2014

Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia)

The Crepe Myrtle is absolutely one of my favorites. The ones that are in our yard started from two my parents bought back in the 1990's. They have multiplied and spread in our backyard to a beautiful array of pink in the summer time.  Although that first small Crepe Myrtle gave me a lot of concern not long after my parents bought it. I accidentally ran over it with the lawnmower and thought I might have killed it . Grass had grown up around that tiny thing and I didn't see it. God was gracious and it recovered  :) into the tree that it is now. It was blessed by Him and has continued to multiply throughout our backyard. Crepe Myrtles are native to the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia, Northern Australia and parts of Oceania. The Crepe Myrtle was first introduced to the United States in 1790 to Charleston, South Carolina from China and Korea. Crepe Myrtles are not considered poisonous. Although not much said about their edibility on the internet but more about their medicinal use. They have been used in Japan, Philippines and India to treat diabetes. Research has shown that it contains high levels of corosilic or colosilic acid a substance used in the treatment of diabetes. The leaves also contain minerals such as zinc and magnesium. So it seems not just the beauty to look at here but a great benefit can come from the Crepe Myrtle. If interested do research yourself. I'm only here to give information on what I'm learning and discovering about God's wonderful creation that's surrounding me.

Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia)
Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia)
Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia)
Me under the Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia) . You can see how tall it is. 

Crepe Myrtle (Lagerstroemia)






No comments:

Post a Comment