Monday, December 29, 2014

Leatherleaf Mahonia (Mahonia bealei)

This evergreen shrub I saw during the summer as my son and I would take pictures on the trail behind our house. I actually thought it was holly but after some research discovered it wasn't at all. Leatherleaf Mahonia is native to mainland China but can be found in the wild throughout the Southeastern United States. It came to this country sometimes in the 1800's. It can grow 5 to 10 feet tall and is an invasive species. There are bright yellow flowers that bloom but as you can see in the pictures these have not opened yet. It's still winter and yes they bloom during this season. Only small buds are on there now. The fruit of this shrub is said to be edible and some make jellies from them. They also contain vitamin C but are full of seeds too.The berries will ripen sometime in the Spring. The leaves, roots and stems have been used medicinally. It is said to be Antibacterial, Anti-phlogistic, Anti-rheumatic, Anti-cancer, Depurative, Febrifuge and used as a Tonic . There are no known hazards but always be cautious and well informed before trying any plant as an edible or using them medicinally. Have expert advice and many resources to gain knowledge from. I love discovering God's creation and it amazes me what I've found in my little world. I hope you'll take time to discover what the Creator placed where you are.

Leatherleaf Mahonia (Mahonia bealei)

Leatherleaf Mahonia (Mahonia bealei)

Leatherleaf Mahonia (Mahonia bealei)

Leatherleaf Mahonia (Mahonia bealei)

Leatherleaf Mahonia (Mahonia bealei)

No comments:

Post a Comment