Saturday, April 18, 2015

Eastern Daisy Fleabane (Erigeron annuus)

Eastern Daisy Fleabane can be found  throughout most of the United States and much of Canada. It's also native to these areas but has been naturalized in many other places in the world. It's another common weed while growing up that I just thought of as a daisy. I'm sure I picked a few of theses as a kid as well. I have read that the leaves are edible when boiled but it's said to be toxic to cows and goats. Another warning I read is that pregnant women should not consume it. It can possibly cause miscarriage. I'm no expert so always it's good to research plants thoroughly before considering them as an edible or used medicinally. Europeans at one time believed that the odor of this plant would repel fleas as the name would suggest. The starlings line their nests with Daisy Fleabane to keep mites away and it was mixed with bedstraw by the early European settlers to keep bugs out of mattresses. Another interesting fact is that it is said to help prevent fungus infections in strawberry plants. The native Americans used this plant and it's roots in treating colds, coughs, headaches, as an astringent, diuretic and much more.  As for me and at the moment I'll just enjoy it's beauty. I'm continuing to learn and discover more about the creation God placed where I am. I look at plants, weeds and wildflowers with new understanding. Take a look around and discover God's creation where you are. 


Eastern Daisy Fleabane  (Erigeron annuus)


Eastern Daisy Fleabane Leaves  (Erigeron annuus)

Eastern Daisy Fleabane  (Erigeron annuus)

Eastern Daisy Fleabane  (Erigeron annuus)

Eastern Daisy Fleabane  (Erigeron annuus)

Eastern Daisy Fleabane  (Erigeron annuus)

No comments:

Post a Comment